Troy Barbitta. Artist. Mad ad man.
One short mac short of a morning coffee run.
Attempts to explain Troy’s absurdist work point to his unconventional double life; advertising creative director and eccentric artist. Troy's art lassos 17th century illustrations to explore space, void and illustration, applying them richly in a contemporary graphical flow. Curiosity in his cool conceptions has seen Troy’s work grace the walls of leading galleries, cafes and a hotel, Leeuwin Estate wine bottles and the occasional wall in a dark alley.
Exhibitions and Highlights
- 06/2016 - Urban Walk - Cockburn Gateway Shopping City
- 11/2015 - Margaret River Gallery Artists in Design Exhibition
- 10/2015 - W Hotel, Aloft - Hotel Interior Artwork
- 06/2015 - Webb & Brown-Neaves - Art Series Applecross
- 04/2015 - FormWA Public Salon 2015
- 03/2015 - Clancys Margaret River
- 03/2015 - Hougoumont Hotel Fremantle - Private Collection
- 03/2015 - Art @ Perth College
- 02/2015 - Newman College Exhibition
- 12/2014 - Lakeside Joondalup Chill Pod
- 06/2014 - Studio281 Gallery - Troy Barbitta + Jos Coufreur
- 02/2014 - Cheeky Monkey - Margaret River
- 02/2014 - Inglewood Hotel
- 02/2014 - Studio281 Gallery- Joint Exhibition
- 01/2014 - Hougoumont Hotel Fremantle- Branding
- 01/2014 - Morries - Margaret River
- 01/2014 - MTV - Branding
- 12/2013 - Studio218 Gallery- Joint Exhibition
- 06/2013 - Margaret River Gallery- Joint Exhibition
- 01/2013 - Linton and Kay Contemporary - Joint Exhibition
- 12/2012 - Box Magazine
- 09/2012 - Margaret River Farm - Branding
- 04/2012 - Perth College Exhibition
- 02/2012 - Margaret River Gallery - 30x30 Exhibition
- 06/2011 - Margaret River Gallery - Troy Barbitta + Jodie Knowles
- 05/2011 - BoHo - Margaret River
- 04/2011 - Jed Wines Agentina - Branding
- 03/2011 - Art Market
- 01/2011 - Margaret River Gallery
- 01/2011 - Cocoon Fireplaces - Feature
- 11/2010 - The Warehouse - Subiaco
- 11/2010 - Pony Expresso
- 11/2010 - Leeuwin Estate Private Collection
- 02/2010 - Perth Convention Centre - ABD Gallery
- 11/2009 - ABD Gallery
- 09/2009 - Royal Agriculture Society of WA
- 09/2008 - Riverbank, Swan Valley
- 09/2008 - Royal Agriculture Society of WA
- 06/2008 - Brunswick Street Gallery. Melbourne
- 01/2008 - Ecucina
- 09/2007 - BankWest Art Exhibition
- 08/2007 - Town of Vincent Exhibition
- 09/2006 - BankWest Art Exhibition
- 08/2006 - Town of Vincent Exhibition
- 05/2006 - Linc
- 12/2005 - CB of Nedlands
- 08/2005 - Town of Vincent Exhibition
- 04/2004 - Woodvale Exhibition
- 04/2003 - Lavish
- 06/2003 - Gallery 360, Mt Lawley
What does it all mean?
Post-modern in form + style, Troy Barbitta’s work navigates the line between the literal and the metaphorical.
His art is a collision of concepts where the traditional and the new are placed against each other in non-usual scenarios.
Often out of context, Barbitta’s imagery generates visual tension: it is through exploration of this tension that Barbitta’s intended meanings become apparent.
Each piece has a unique and self contained story. Through his work, Barbitta often draws attention to inconsistencies in modern life, and western values. This makes the work a social commentary, where Barbitta’s intellect, humour and wry observation bubble through to create a rich tapestry for the viewer to engage with and reflect on.
We welcome you into the world of Troy Barbitta.